- Policy making and implementation: The Ministry is saddled with the responsibility of the development and implementation of policy on education.
- Overall coordination: The Ministry is responsible for the control and management of Early Childhood Care and Development (ECCD) basic, senior secondary, vocational and technical education.
- Approval, regulation and monitoring of private education institutions.
- Inspection of private and public schools for quality control and education standards.
Vehicles For Carrying Out Our Functions
In compliance with the National policy on education, we run a free and compulsory Universal Basic Education in addition to providing free senior secondary education through:
- Statutory administrative and professional directorates in the Ministry such as;
- Finance and Administration
- Policy Planning Research and Statistics
- Basic Educational Services
- Private Education and Special Programmes
- Curriculum Services
- Examinations Board
- Science and Technology
- Education Resource Centre
- Multilingual Centre.